Monday, February 26, 2007

Two down, one to go

photo: a heart-melting latte

The man I love speaks three languages, two of which I’m fluent in. Ironically enaugh, the language I’m most in need of at present, is the one I don’t have. It would be handy if languages were sold in a papercup, just like a take-away latte – “One take-away Swedish, please!” I’d totally buy that!

The truth is, I’ve studied Swedish for years but I don’t speak it. I often feel awkward having to argue with people about this minor fact. I mean - I speak four languages, I would know if I spoke five! Moreover, understanding Swedish in Finland (i.e. fairly easy) is nowhere close to understanding it in Sweden. I’m frustrated with having to go into all these details and repeatedly feeling guilty for not being able to speak the language.

It seems almost too familiar. I admit, I had a continuous frustration during my stay in Spain caused by my language disability, up until the moment I realised - I finally speak Spanish! It’s a challenging process - learning a language in its natural environment. First everyone around you seem like a monotonous wave of sounds, after a while the ear starts distinguishing strange words – none of which make sense. Just when you’re about angry enaugh at yourself and at everyone else for not understanding, it strikes you! ... I love the last part and hate the prologue!

In Brussels, a middle-aged woman once bitterly remarked to me - “You are in Brussels, you are supposed to speak French!” That happened at my regular gym, in a steamy room with a sign ‘Finnish Sauna’ on its entrance door. Pardon me, I thought, for having the nerve to come to your country without first being fluent in French! But in the moment of confusion I apologized; she didn’t seem like someone who gets out much. Thinking back, I regret not asking her why she didn’t speak Finnish, after all, we were in the Finnish Sauna. (Whatever happened to speaking Flemish?)

I know a Mexican guy, who spent a few years studying in Finland and can’t spell the simplest three letter word - ‘hei’ (‘hello’); he cuts it down to two letters every time - ‘ei’ (‘no’). Survived Finland just fine, since most of us speak English, Swedish and some even Spanish, among other languages.

Finnish people are modest enaugh to understand that the world is too busy to learn their language, so they study foreign languages instead. I consider it smart thinking. The Swedish wisely recognize that fact about their language too. But certainly not the Spanish, nor the French Belgians. They are convinced the world must make an effort - and the world does.

Sweden is indulging in that aspect. I could survive years and years here without ever really having to learn the language, but the thing is – I want to. The other day, my love was teaching me the correct pronounciation, although that is in itself debatable. So let’s call it - the correct pronounciation of the Stockholm region, after all, I’m in no position to choose. I discovered that I’m not capable of producing a sound as simple as ‘h’. This is unheard of! How many h’s can there be? - apparently many, and none of mine suit! Problem two - my ‘r’ is no good either.

Now that I’ve successfully established my various oral defects, maybe it’s about time to start turning them into assets. I’d better not watch those Swedish commercials. ;)

No comments: